Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

One Potato, Two Potato

Wow, Wow Wow! I just need to give a Shout Out to Mary (R)! ...(the (r) is for her last name, not because she's a republican. maybe she is, but I'm not forsure. We're not tight like that yet.) She doesn't know it, but she's going to be the talk of the picinic & dinner table this summer! I met her via allrecipes.com. She shared a recipe that tastes so fresh and is a fun way to use Sweet Potatoes! So, let's get down to business.

Red and Sweet Potato Salad


2 lbs red potatoes, cut in 1-inch chunks
1lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon spicy brown mustard
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup milk
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 sm. red onion
1/3 cup minced FRESH parsley

Directions

-Place the red potatoes in a large sauce pan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover & cook for 2 minutes. Add sweet potatoes; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover & cook 8-10 minutes longer or until potatoes are fork tender. DO NOT OVER BOIL.
-In a large bowl, whisk the vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Drain potatoes; add to vinegar mixture and stir gently to coat. Cool. (I do these 1st two steps either the day ahead or in the morning and finish the last step a few hrs before serving. )
-In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and milk. Stir in the celery, onion and parsley. gently stir into cooled potato mixture. Serve immediately or cover and chill.


ENJOY


Ok now the really fun part. I was given a book from Brians grandma that I just LOVE! It's the Giant Book of Kitchen Counter Cures by Jerry Baker. So, why the excitement? Well I for one have never been the one to go out of my way to buy or eat sweet potatoes... Until Now! According to Jerry and his fellow researchers, they're really good for you! They help your immune function and fight against cancer, heart disease, leg cramps, and yeast infections. They are also super high in Potassium and Vitamin A. And this is just one of the ingredients in this tasty salad that Mary so kindly shared with us! Way to go Mary!


Try it! Let me know what you think! ( I made the link above go directly to the recipe so it's more printer friendly for you)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nam Nam Nam Nam!

Sean'n'Lish said...

Its so so so YUMMY! keep the recipes coming ;)