Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

embracing my inner granola

Ok. first off if this offends anyone, my apologies. I am also embracing the first amendment. In honor of doing so, I have wrapped these lovely little cleansers in stars and stripes... and because it's all I had! I have always known it was important to eat healthy, and never wanted to go overboard with the whole "organic, what i eat is now my religion thing" and I consider my family to be most likely healthier than most... but we have a long way to go. We rarely eat out, in fact last time I took the kids to McDonalds was a few months ago and Maddi thought it was her Birthday - Good Times! But I have found it's super easy to get lazy in the kitchen with so many easy starters and packaged products. I would love to learn more about food and the effect it has on your body, and how certain foods can help you. I will try post some recipes, everyonce in a while, that I try and enjoy!

Bran Flax Muffins

Ingredients
•1 1/2 cups Unbleached White Flour
•3/4 cup Flaxseeds Meal
•3/4 cup Oat Bran Cereal
•1 cup Brown Sugar
•2 tsp Baking Soda
•1 tsp Baking Powder
•1/2 tsp Salt
•2 tsp Cinnamon
•1 1/2 cups finely shredded Carrots
•2 peeled and shredded Apples
•1/2 cup Raisins (optional)
•1 cup chopped Nuts
•3/4 cup Milk
•2 beaten Eggs
•1 tsp Vanilla

Directions
Mix together flour, Bob's Red Mill Flaxseed Meal, oat bran, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir in carrots, apples, raisins (if desired) and nuts. Combine milk, beaten eggs and vanilla. Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir until ingredients are moistened. DO NOT OVER MIX. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.

Yield: 15 medium muffins

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
One muffin contains Calories 220, Calories from Fat 80, Fat 9g, Saturated Fat 0.5g, Cholesterol 30mg, Sodium 310mg, Carbohydrates 34g, Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugar 21g, Protein 6g.

Tara the raisins are optional. Also it works quickly. Beware. You may want to try this when you know you will be home for a while.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hahaha when I read raisins I thought "ew taking that out" then read your comment. So, when I make these that will be my FIRST change to the recipe. Then I shall write back on how I completely ruined the recipe and it didn't work so I gave it 2 stars. MMMM wish I had flaxseed. Is oat bran grape nuts? I can't wait to try these! If you're interested I wrote a healthy muffin recipe last fall that's really good to! I will BEWARE lol.